Life is short but (failed)

Life is short but (failed) 2014 , dimensions variable, fire works, card board, wood


After the performance

I was working in a sculptor's studio in the last summer as an assistant. It made me to compare his permanent sculptures with my temporary installation works. I thought a person's life is short and even my art works are shorter than a short life. I made a plan to show the sentence 'Life is short but art is shorter' with
 fire works that took only few seconds to burn them out. I decided to skip the phrase 'Art is shorter' because it will be shown in the work. 











It was the first experiment but the letter was too small to recognise it.





It was the 2nd test and successful, I added an electronic ignition system to ignite those fire works simultaneously. I built a whole structure based on the result of the test.






But it is failed. 

The ignition system that I made was broken down in the first try. It was a day before I went to UK for attending a MFA course. I had no time. 

I finished the work with a gas torch that was attached on the end of wooden pole. When I was writing the sentence in the air with the torch, a new idea for the title of work came to my mind,

'Life is short but failed.' 

Please enjoy this 6 min 51secs long failure.