Good bye.




Installation view from Good bye. 
03-13. 08. 2013, Cyart gallery, Seoul, Korea
Good bye. is a farewell remark. This project is not focused on the materiality of a place itself but on the relationship that existed between people and the place. Good bye. is an act of lamenting the severance of such relationship.
I feel a sense of loss in Seoul where everything changes rapidly. I do not know when my neighbors moved in, they are strangers to me; a neighborhood supermarket has a new sign; and new streets are built and familiar old streets have disappeared. The sense of loss is the result of temporary relations that are built in a city defined by constantly shifting spaces and that which must therefore come to an end. There is a time in a day when this sense of loss is particularly strong; it is the early morning hours when the city is largely empty of people. When the city is empty of people, its materiality becomes conspicuous. It is at times like this that I witness the temporary relationships and their break-up. They are like saying good-bye.

Good bye. series
2013, Dimensions variable, 59 pieces of pictures, Digital print

I took place in everyday spaces that are close to me. They were found near my hometown, studio and roads for commuting, where I spend most of my time. I used Christmas lights and lumber that was found from a garbage dump to make an LED sign that can easily be assembled and moved by myself. The sign is moved by a truck to go to sites where I marked on a road map. I recorded the performances in sixty-three photographs and footages.



Good bye, a bus stop
2013, 21 x 29cm, Digital Print, Installation at Gumto bus stop


Good bye, Mcdonald's.
2013, 29 x 21cm, Digital print, Installation at Mcdonald's at Sunae dong


Good bye, a playground
2013, 29 x 21cm, Digital print, Installation at Gaenari Apartment

Sign of Good bye.
2013, 160 x 190 x 120cm, christmas tree lights ,wood, c-clamp

Road map of Good bye.
2013, 60 x 90cm, Mixed media